Staff: Michele Bloch, M.D., Ph.D.
Michele Bloch, M.D., Ph.D.
- Office of the Associate Director (OAD)
- Behavioral Research Program (BRP)
Michele Bloch, M.D., Ph.D. , is a senior advisor in the Office of the Associate Director within the Behavioral Research Program’s Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). From October 2013 to May 2023, Dr. Bloch served as chief of the Behavioral Research Program’s Tobacco Control Research Branch.
Dr. Bloch received her bachelor's degree in biochemistry from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. She received her doctor of medicine and doctor of philosophy degrees (pharmacology) from Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, where she completed a residency in anatomic pathology.
Dr. Bloch's research interests include tobacco control policy research, effective tobacco control policy and program interventions for women and girls, and international tobacco control research. She provided scientific guidance to the Fogarty International Center as it developed its Request for Applications regarding research and capacity building on international tobacco control and to the National Institute of Child Health and Development's Global Network for Women's and Children's Health Research Tobacco and Pregnancy Survey.
Dr. Bloch is a member of the American Public Health Association and the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco.
- Women's tobacco use
- Global tobacco control research
- Tobacco control policy research
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Lowy DR, Fiore MC, Willis G, Mangold KN, Bloch MH, Baker TB. Treating Smoking in Cancer Patients: An Essential Component of Cancer Care-The New National Cancer Institute Tobacco Control Monograph. JCO Oncol Pract 2022 Nov 7; OP2200385.
- Parascandola M, Neta G, Bloch M, Gopal S. Colliding Epidemics: Research Gaps and Implementation Science Opportunities for Tobacco Use and HIV/AIDS in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. J Smok Cessat 2022 Jun 17; 2022.
- Levy D, Jiang M, Szklo A, de Almeida LM, Autran M, Bloch M. Smoking and adverse maternal and child health outcomes in Brazil. Nicotine Tob Res 2013 Nov; 15(11):1797-804.
- Nichter, M., Greaves, L., Bloch, M., Paglia, M., Scarinci, I., Tolosa, J. E., & Novotny, T. E. Tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure during pregnancy in low- and middle-income countries: the need for social and cultural research. Acta Obstet.Gynecol.Scand. 2010; 89(4):465-477.
- Bloch, M., Althabe, F., Onyamboko, M., Kaseba-Sata, C., Castilla, E. E., Freire, S., Garces, A. L., Parida, S., Goudar, S. S., Kadir, M. M., Goco, N., Thornberry, J., Daniels, M., Bartz, J., Hartwell, T., Moss, N., & Goldenberg, R. Tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure during pregnancy: an investigative survey of women in 9 developing nations. Am J Public Health 2008; 98(10):1833-1840.