Staff: Michele Bloch, M.D., Ph.D.
Michele Bloch, M.D., Ph.D.
Michele Bloch, M.D., Ph.D., is Chief of the Tobacco Control Research Branch within the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Dr. Bloch received her bachelor's degree in biochemistry from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. She received her doctor of medicine and doctor of philosophy degrees (pharmacology) from Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, where she completed a residency in Anatomic Pathology.
Dr. Bloch's research interests include tobacco control policy research, research on effective tobacco control policy and program interventions for women and girls, and international tobacco control research. She provided scientific guidance to the Fogarty International Center as it developed its Request for Applications regarding research and capacity building on international tobacco control and to the National Institute of Child Health and Development's Global Network for Women's and Children's Health Research Tobacco and Pregnancy Survey.
At NCI, Dr. Bloch's duties include management of grants, independent research, and service duties, including helping to disseminate important tobacco control and prevention research findings to the general public. Dr. Bloch is a member of the American Public Health Association, having served as Chair of the Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Section from 1997-98. She is also a member of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco.
- Women's tobacco use
- Global tobacco control research
- Tobacco control policy research
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Parascandola M, Neta G, Bloch M, Gopal S. Colliding Epidemics: Research Gaps and Implementation Science Opportunities for Tobacco Use and HIV/AIDS in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. J Smok Cessat 2022 Jun 17; 2022.
- Bloch M, Parascandola M. Tobacco use in pregnancy: a window of opportunity for prevention. Lancet Glob Health 2014 Sep; 2(9):e489-e490.
- Levy D, Jiang M, Szklo A, de Almeida LM, Autran M, Bloch M. Smoking and adverse maternal and child health outcomes in Brazil. Nicotine Tob Res 2013 Nov; 15(11):1797-804.
- Nichter, M., Greaves, L., Bloch, M., Paglia, M., Scarinci, I., Tolosa, J. E., & Novotny, T. E. Tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure during pregnancy in low- and middle-income countries: the need for social and cultural research. Acta Obstet.Gynecol.Scand. 2010; 89(4):465-477.
- Bloch, M., Althabe, F., Onyamboko, M., Kaseba-Sata, C., Castilla, E. E., Freire, S., Garces, A. L., Parida, S., Goudar, S. S., Kadir, M. M., Goco, N., Thornberry, J., Daniels, M., Bartz, J., Hartwell, T., Moss, N., & Goldenberg, R. Tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure during pregnancy: an investigative survey of women in 9 developing nations. Am J Public Health 2008; 98(10):1833-1840.