Staff: Paul Han, M.D., M.A., M.P.H.
Paul Han, M.D., M.A., M.P.H.
- Office of the Associate Director (OAD)
- Behavioral Research Program (BRP)
Paul Han, M.D., M.A., M.P.H., is a Senior Scientist in the Behavioral Research Program (BRP). Dr. Han's research program focuses on understanding and improving the communication and management of uncertainty in health care, and his work bridges the disciplines of behavioral and health services research. His specific interests include risk communication, shared decision making, and predictive modeling, and his research has examined clinical problems in cancer care, genomic medicine, and palliative and end-of-life care.
Dr. Han earned his M.D. from the New York University School of Medicine, and an M.A. in Bioethics and an M.P.H. from the University of Pittsburgh. He completed Internal Medicine residency training at the University of California, Los Angeles, and an NCI Cancer Prevention Fellowship in BRP.
Prior to joining NCI, Dr. Han served as the Director of the Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation at the Maine Medical Center Research Institute, and Associate Professor of Medicine at the Tufts University School of Medicine. He led statewide initiatives to promote lung cancer prevention and screening and to study the implementation of cancer genomic testing in clinical practice. Dr. Han is the author of Uncertainty in Medicine: A Framework for Tolerance (Oxford University Press, 2021), as well as over 150 papers and book chapters in the peer-reviewed medical literature, and has been actively involved in initiatives to promote shared decision making and teach risk communication skills to medical students and physicians.
In addition to his Senior Scientist role in BRP, Dr. Han also serves as an adjunct investigator in NCI's Clinical Genetics Branch in the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics.
- Medical uncertainty
- Shared decision making
- Risk communication
- Predictive modeling
- Cancer screening
- Cancer genomics
- Palliative and end-of-life care
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Han PKJ, Scharnetzki E, Scherer AM, Thorpe A, Lary C, Waterston LB, Fagerlin A, Dieckmann NF. Communicating Scientific Uncertainty About the COVID-19 Pandemic: Online Experimental Study of an Uncertainty-Normalizing Strategy. J Med Internet Res 2021 Apr 22; 23(4).
- Han PKJ, Strout TD, Gutheil C, Germann C, King B, Ofstad E, Gulbrandsen P, Trowbridge R. How Physicians Manage Medical Uncertainty: A Qualitative Study and Conceptual Taxonomy.. Med Decis Making 2021 Apr; 41(3):275-291.
- Han PKJ, Gutheil C, Hutchinson RN, LaChance JA. Cause or Effect? The Role of Prognostic Uncertainty in the Fear of Cancer Recurrence. Front Psychol 2021 Jan 15; 11.
- Han PKJ, Lary C, Black A, Gutheil C, Mandeville H, Yahwak J, Fukunaga M. Effects of Personalized Risk Information on Patients Referred for Lung Cancer Screening with Low-Dose CT. Med Decis Making 2019 Nov; 39(8):950-961.
- Han PK, Klein WM, Arora NK. Varieties of uncertainty in health care: a conceptual taxonomy. Med Decis Making 2011 Nov-Dec; 31(6):828-838.