Staff: Paul Han, M.D., M.A., M.P.H.
Paul Han, M.D., M.A., M.P.H.
- Office of the Associate Director (OAD)
- Behavioral Research Program (BRP)
Paul Han, M.D., M.A., M.P.H., is a Senior Scientist in the Behavioral Research Program (BRP). Dr. Han's research program focuses on understanding and improving the communication and management of uncertainty in health care, and his work bridges the disciplines of behavioral and health services research. His specific interests include risk communication, shared decision making, and predictive modeling, and his research has examined clinical problems in cancer care, genomic medicine, and palliative and end-of-life care.
Dr. Han earned his M.D. from the New York University School of Medicine, and an M.A. in Bioethics and an M.P.H. from the University of Pittsburgh. He completed Internal Medicine residency training at the University of California, Los Angeles, and an NCI Cancer Prevention Fellowship in BRP.
Prior to joining NCI, Dr. Han served as the Director of the Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation CORE at the Maine Medical Center Research Institute, and Associate Professor of Medicine at the Tufts University School of Medicine. He led statewide initiatives to promote lung cancer prevention and screening and to study the implementation of cancer genomic testing in clinical practice. Dr. Han has authored over 150 papers and book chapters in the peer-reviewed medical literature, and he has been actively involved in initiatives to promote shared decision making and teach risk communication skills to medical students and physicians.
In addition to his Senior Scientist role in BRP, Dr. Han also serves as an adjunct investigator in NCI's Clinical Genetics Branch in the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics.
- Medical uncertainty
- Shared decision making
- Risk communication
- Predictive modeling
- Cancer screening
- Cancer genomics
- Palliative and end-of-life care
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Han PKJ, Lary C, Black A, Gutheil C, Mandeville H, Yahwak J, Fukunaga M. Effects of Personalized Risk Information on Patients Referred for Lung Cancer Screening with Low-Dose CT. Med Decis Making 2019 Nov; 39(8):950-961.
- Han PKJ, Babrow A, Hillen MA, Gulbrandsen P, Smets EM, Ofstad EH. Uncertainty in health care: Towards a more systematic program of research. Patient Educ Couns 2019 Oct; 102(10):1756-1766.
- Hillen MA, Gutheil CM, Strout TD, Smets EMA, Han PKJ. Tolerance of uncertainty: Conceptual analysis, integrative model, and implications for healthcare. Soc Sci Med 2017 May; 180:62-75.
- Han PKJ, Umstead KL, Bernhardt BA, Green RC, Joffe S, Koenig B, Krantz I, Waterston LB, Biesecker LG, Biesecker BB. A taxonomy of medical uncertainties in clinical genome sequencing. Genet Med 2017 Aug; 19(8):918-925.
- Han PK, Klein WM, Arora NK. Varieties of uncertainty in health care: a conceptual taxonomy. Med Decis Making 2011 Nov-Dec; 31(6):828-838.