Staff: Rachel Grana Mayne, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Rachel Grana Mayne, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Rachel Grana Mayne, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a Program Director in the Tobacco Control and Research Branch (TCRB) within the Behavioral Research Program (BRP) of the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS) at the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
Dr. Grana Mayne's current research interests focus on behavioral factors associated with e-cigarette and other novel tobacco product use, dual and polyuse of tobacco products and/or cannabis, and tobacco cessation, particularly among youth and young adults. She is also interested in how e-cigarette use impacts prevention of smoking, smoking behavior, cessation, and relapse among former smokers. Dr. Grana Mayne's published work has focused on e-cigarette use, marketing, and policy, as well as smoking cessation among adults and adolescents, and she was on the Senior Scientific Editorial team for the 2020 Surgeon General's Report on smoking cessation. Dr. Grana Mayne is NCI's liaison to the Tobacco Regulatory Science Program at NIH, which manages the partnership between NIH and FDA Center for Tobacco Products to fund research to inform FDA's tobacco regulatory activities.
Prior to joining TCRB, Dr. Grana Mayne completed her postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California San Francisco and earned her Ph.D. in Health Behavior Research and M.P.H. in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at the University of Southern California, where she focused on substance use prevention and smoking cessation among adolescents.
Current and/or past BRP mentees include Olosegun (Segun) Owotomo.
Current and/or past BRP mentors include Wen-Ying Sylvia Chou.
- Behavioral factors associated with e-cigarette and other novel tobacco product use
- Dual and polyuse of tobacco products
- Dual and polyuse of tobacco products and cannabis
- Tobacco cessation, particularly among youth and young adults
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Mayer M, Shin YE, Baker L, Cordova J, Mayne RG, Reyes-Guzman CM, Pfeiffer RM, Choi K. A Longitudinal Analysis of Respiratory Illness and Tobacco Use Transitions. Am J Prev Med 2022 Oct 8; S0749-3797(22)00426-3.
- Mayer M, Reyes-Guzman C, Grana R, Choi K, Freedman ND. Demographic Characteristics, Cigarette Smoking, and e-Cigarette Use Among US Adults. JAMA Netw Open 2020 Oct 1; 3(10).
- Wiseman KP, Margolis KA, Bernat JK, Grana RA. The association between perceived e-cigarette and nicotine addictiveness, information-seeking, and e-cigarette trial among U.S. adults. Prev Med 2019 Jan; 118:66-72.
- Grana, R.A., Benowitz, N. and Glantz, S.A. E-cigarettes: A Scientific Review. Circulation 2014:1972-1986.
- Grana R.A., Ling, P.M. Smoking revolution? A content analysis of electronic cigarette retail website marketing. Am J Prev Med 2014; 46(4):395-403.