Staff: Heather D'Angelo, Ph.D., M.H.S.
Heather D'Angelo, Ph.D., M.H.S.
Heather D'Angelo, Ph.D., M.H.S., is a Program Director in the Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch (HCIRB) of the Behavioral Research Program (BRP) at NCI. Prior to joining NCI, Heather was an Assistant Scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for the Cancer Center Cessation Initiative Coordinating Center. Her research focused on using implementation science to optimize the delivery of smoking cessation interventions within oncology healthcare settings.
Dr. D'Angelo completed her post-doctoral training as an NCI Cancer Prevention Fellow within BRP. She earned her doctorate in Health Behavior from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Gillings School of Global Public Health. She holds a M.H.S. in International Health with a concentration in Human Nutrition from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and a B.S. in Biochemistry from Northeastern University.
Dr. D'Angelo's research broadly focuses on reducing cancer health disparities by understanding the role of the social, built, communication, and policy environments in influencing health behaviors related to cancer risk, especially diet, physical activity, and tobacco use. Her research interests also include using multilevel communication interventions, health behavior theory, and implementation science strategies to improve the delivery of cancer preventive interventions in healthcare settings.
- Cancer health disparities
- Multilevel health communication research and interventions
- Place and health
- Implementation science
- Obesity prevention
- Tobacco control
Selected Publications and Presentations
- D'Angelo H, Rose SW, Golden SD, Queen T, Ribisl KM. E-cigarette availability, price promotions and marketing at the point-of sale in the contiguous United States (2014-2015): National estimates and multilevel correlates. Prev Med Rep 2020 Jun 26; 19:101152.
- D'Angelo H, Ramsey AT, Rolland B, Chen LS, Bernstein SL, Fucito LM, Webb Hooper M, Adsit R, Pauk D, Rosenblum MS, Cinciripini PM, Joseph A, Ostroff JS, Warren GW, Fiore MC, Baker TB. Pragmatic Application of the RE-AIM Framework to Evaluate the Implementation of Tobacco Cessation Programs Within NCI-Designated Cancer Centers. Front Public Health 2020 Jun 12; 8:221.
- Fiore MC, D'Angelo H, Baker T. Effective Cessation Treatment for Patients With Cancer Who Smoke-The Fourth Pillar of Cancer Care. JAMA Netw Open 2019 Sep 4; 2(9).
- D'Angelo H, Fowler SL, Nebeling LC, Oh AY. Adolescent Physical Activity: Moderation of Individual Factors by Neighborhood Environment. Am J Prev Med 2017; 52(6):888-894.
- D'Angelo H, Ammerman A, Gordon-Larsen P, Linnan L, Lytle L, Ribisl KM. Sociodemographic Disparities in Proximity of Schools to Tobacco Outlets and Fast-Food Restaurants. Am J Public Health 2016; 106(9):1556-1562.