Staff: Robin C. Vanderpool, Dr.P.H.
Robin C. Vanderpool, Dr.P.H.
Robin C. Vanderpool, Dr.P.H., is chief of the Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch (HCIRB) in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). As branch chief, Dr. Vanderpool leads the development of health communication research initiatives in areas such as cancer communication surveillance, patient-provider communication, cancer risk communication, health literacy, social/new media, and connected health. Dr. Vanderpool also contributes to the Division's efforts to support NCI-designated cancer centers' community outreach and engagement activities.
Dr. Vanderpool's scientific background includes both formative and interventional research on HPV vaccination, cancer screening, cancer survivorship, implementation science, and rural cancer control. Prior to joining NCI, Dr. Vanderpool was a professor in the Department of Health, Behavior & Society, part of the University of Kentucky College of Public Health. She also held leadership positions at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center, as the Associate Director for Community Outreach and Engagement and Co-Director of the Behavioral and Community-Based Research Shared Resource Facility.
Dr. Vanderpool earned her Doctorate of Public Health, with a concentration in Health Behavior, from the University of Kentucky. She received her Masters of Public Health in Public Health Education from Western Kentucky University and her Bachelor of Science in Psychobiology from Centre College
Current and/or past BRP mentees include Camella Rising, Heather D'Angelo and Nicole Senft Everson.
- Rural cancer control
- HPV vaccination
- Cancer screening
- Cancer survivorship
- Implementation science
- Patient-provider communication
- Community outreach and engagement
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Vanderpool RC, Huang G, Wilson A, Gordon R, Mollica MA, Maynard CD. Childhood Cancer Information-Seeking: Findings from the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service. J Cancer Educ 2022 Nov 22.
- Brandt HM, Vanderpool RC, Pilar M, Zubizarreta M, Stradtman LR. A narrative review of HPV vaccination interventions in rural U.S. communities. Prev Med 2021 Jan 1.
- Vanderpool RC, Huang GC, Mollica M, Gutierrez AI, Maynard CD. Cancer Information-seeking in an Age of COVID-19: Findings from the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service. Health Commun 2021 Jan; 36(1):89-97.
- Vanderpool RC, Gaysynsky A, Sylvia Chou WY. Using a Global Pandemic as a Teachable Moment to Promote Vaccine Literacy and Build Resilience to Misinformation. Am J Public Health 2020 Oct; 110(S3):S284-S285.
- Weaver SJ, Blake KD, Vanderpool RC, Gardner B, Croyle RT, Srinivasan S. Advancing Rural Cancer Control Research: National Cancer Institute Efforts to Identify Gaps and Opportunities. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2020 Aug; 29(8):1515-1518.