Staff: Robin Vanderpool, Dr.P.H.
Robin Vanderpool, Dr.P.H.
Robin C. Vanderpool, Dr.P.H., is chief of the Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch (HCIRB) in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). As branch chief, Dr. Vanderpool leads the development of health communication research initiatives in areas such as patient-provider communication, cancer risk communication, health literacy, social/new media, and connected health.
Dr. Vanderpool's research background includes HPV vaccination, cancer screening, cancer survivorship, implementation science, and rural cancer control. She comes to NCI from the University of Kentucky, where she was a professor in the Department of Health, Behavior & Society, part of the College of Public Health. She also held leadership positions at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center, as the Associate Director for Community Outreach and Engagement and Co-Director of the Behavioral and Community-Based Research Shared Resource Facility.
Dr. Vanderpool earned her Doctorate of Public Health, with a concentration in Health Behavior, from the University of Kentucky. She received her Masters of Public Health in Public Health Education from Western Kentucky University and her Bachelor of Science in Psychobiology from Centre College.
- Rural cancer control
- HPV vaccination
- Cancer screening
- Cancer survivorship
- Implementation science
- Patient-provider communication
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Vanderpool RC, Huang B, Deng Y, Bear TM, Chen Q, Johnson MF, Paskett ED, Robertson LB, Young GS, Iachan R. Cancer-Related Beliefs and Perceptions in Appalachia: Findings from 3 States. J Rural Health 2019 Mar; 35(2):176-188.
- Vanderpool RC, Stradtman LR, Brandt HM. Policy opportunities to increase HPV vaccination in rural communities. Hum Vaccin Immunother 2019; 15(7-8):1527-1732.
- Kennedy AE, Vanderpool RC, Croyle RT, Srinivasan S. An Overview of the National Cancer Institute's Initiatives to Accelerate Rural Cancer Control Research. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2018 Nov; 27(11):1240-1244.
- Nichols HM, Swanberg JE, Vanderpool RC. Patient-Provider Communication: Experiences of Low-Wage-Earning Breast Cancer Survivors in Managing Cancer and Work. J Cancer Educ 2019 Jun; 34(3):542-549.
- Vanderpool RC, Moore SC, Stradtman LR, Carman AL, Kurgat HL, Fain P. Adaptation of an Evidence-Based Intervention to Improve Preventive Care Practices in a Federally Qualified Health Center in Appalachian Kentucky. J Health Care Poor Underserved 2016; 27(4A):46-52.