Staff: Elizabeth Siembida, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Elizabeth Siembida, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Cancer Prevention Fellow
- Office of the Associate Director (OAD)
- Behavioral Research Program (BRP)
Elizabeth (Liz) Siembida, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a Cancer Prevention Fellow in the Office of the Associate Director (OAD) of the Behavioral Research Program. Dr. Siembida's research aims to improve the health-related quality of life of cancer survivors diagnosed across the lifespan. Her work focuses on three primary areas: (1) high-quality cancer care delivery, (2) the role of the life course in the cancer experience, and (3) the assessment and monitoring of symptom burden.
With her background in lifespan development, Dr. Siembida's research spans the life course and has included studies examining the receipt of guideline-directed survivorship care among older cancer survivors, the patient-provider relationship and perceived quality of care among adolescent cancer patients, and multimorbidity and symptom burden among older cancer survivors.
Dr. Siembida earned a Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Studies from the University of Connecticut. She also holds an M.P.H. with a concentration in Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and a Bachelor of Science degree in Youth, Adult, and Family Services from Purdue University.
Current and/or past BRP mentors include Richard Moser.
- Health-related quality of life
- Cancer survivorship
- Patient-reported outcomes
- Symptom management
- Adolescent and young adult oncology
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Siembida EJ, Kent EE, Bellizzi KM, Smith AW. Healthcare providers' discussions of physical activity with older survivors of cancer: Potential missed opportunities for health promotion. J Geriatr Oncol 2019 May20.
- Siembida EJ, Moss K, Kadan-Lottick N, Bellizzi KM. The Patient-Provider Relationship in Adolescent Oncology: AnExploratory Factor Analysis of a Thirteen-Item Self-Report Measure. J Adolesc Health 2018 Oct; 63(4):509-512.
- Siembida EJ, Kadan-Lottick NS, Moss K, Bellizzi KM. Adolescent cancer patients' perceived quality of cancer care: The roles of patient engagement and supporting independence. Patient Educ Couns 2018 Sep; 101(9):1683-1689.
- Siembida EJ, Radhakrishnan A, Nowak SA, Parker AM, Pollack CE. Linking Reminders and Physician Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations: Results From a National Survey. JCO Clin Cancer Inform 2017 Nov; 1:1-10.
- Siembida EJ, Bellizzi KM. The Doctor-Patient Relationship in the Adolescent Cancer Setting: A Developmentally Focused Literature Review. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 2015 Sep; 4(3):108-17.