Staff: Kimberly A. Clevenger, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Kimberly A. Clevenger, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Cancer Prevention Fellow
Kimberly Clevenger, Ph.D., M.P.H. is a Cancer Prevention Fellow in the Health Behaviors Research Branch (HBRB) of the Behavioral Research Program.
Dr. Clevenger researches how health behaviors like physical activity vary over time and space and how this impacts subsequent positive and negative environmental exposures. She is particularly interested in how the physical micro-environment impacts behavior and exposure. Additionally, she is interested in measurement-related issues and the use of device-based approaches to assessing physical activity and its context.
Dr. Clevenger received her Ph.D. in Kinesiology from Michigan State University, M.S. and B.S. in Exercise Physiology from Ohio University, and M.P.H. in Quantitative Methods from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Her doctoral work focused on how physical activity varies by schoolyard location using global positioning systems (GPS) receiver units and Bluetooth-enabled accelerometers. She also conducted several studies on methodological concerns when using commercial and research-grade activity monitors (e.g., impact of sampling rate, comparisons of different monitors, development of artificial neural networks) in both children and adults.
Current and/or past BRP mentors include David Berrigan.
- Physical Activity Measurement
- Spatial Context of Health Behaviors
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Clevenger, KA, Grady, SC, Erickson, K, Pfeiffer, KA. Use of a spatiotemporal approach for understanding preschoolers' playground activity. Spat Spatiotemporal Epidemiol 2020.
- Clevenger KA, Pfeiffer KA, Montoye AHK. Cross-generational comparability of hip- and wrist-worn ActiGraph GT3X+, wGT3X-BT, and GT9X accelerometers during free-living in adults. J Sports Sci 2020 Aug 5:1-9.
- Clevenger, KA, Wierenga, MJ, Howe, CA, Pfeiffer, KA. A Systematic Review of Child and Adolescent Physical Activity by Schoolyard Location. Kinesiol Rev (Champaign) 2020.
- Clevenger, KA, Molesky, MJ, Vusich, J, Montoye, AHK. Free-Living Comparison of Physical Activity and Sleep Data from Fitbit Activity Trackers Worn on the Dominant and Nondominant Wrists. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci 2019.
- Clevenger, KA, Sinha, G, Howe, CA. Comparison of Methods for Analyzing Global Positioning System Plus Accelerometry Data from Recess. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci 2019.