Staff: Kelly Blake, Sc.D.
Kelly Blake, Sc.D.
Kelly Blake, Sc.D., is a Health Scientist and Program Director in the National Cancer Institute's (NCI) Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch (HCIRB). She also serves as Director of NCI's Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS) and conducts research examining how media exposure influences health behavior and attitudes toward public health policy. She examines social determinants of health, primarily focusing on how communication inequalities and knowledge gaps exacerbate health disparities among disadvantaged populations.
Before re-joining NCI in 2009, Dr. Blake was a cancer prevention fellow and research assistant at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston (2005-09), working in Dr. K. Viswanath's research lab as she pursued her doctoral training. During that time, she also did private consulting work in health communication and served as a teaching fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. Prior to that, she served as a science writer and editor in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Science's (DCCPS) Office of the Director (OD) (2001-05). Before that, she was a hospital-based public health educator and site coordinator for the West Virginia Rural Health Education Partnerships Program (1997-2001) and a health communication research fellow at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (1996-97).
She earned a doctor of science degree in social epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health, a master's degree in community health education from West Virginia University, and a bachelor's degree in journalism and mass communication from Marshall University.
Current and past BRP mentors include Michele Bloch.
Current and past BRP mentees include Abby Prestin and Camille Fonseca.
Secondary Branch/Office Appointment:
Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB)
- Media effects
- Social epidemiology
- Communication inequality
- Public health policy
- Tobacco control
- Survey research methods
- Rural cancer control
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Blake KD, Moss JL, Gaysynsky A, Srinivasan S, Croyle RT. Making the Case for Investment in Rural Cancer Control: An Analysis of Rural Cancer Incidence, Mortality, and Funding Trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2017 Jul; 26(7):992-997.
- Blake KD, Portnoy DB, Kaufman AR, Lin CJ, Lo SC, Backlund E, Cantor D, Hicks L, Lin A, Caporaso A, Davis T, Moser RP, Hesse BW. Rationale, Procedures, and Response Rates for the 2015 Administration of NCI's Health Information National Trends Survey: HINTS-FDA 2015. J Health Commun 2016 Dec; 21(12):1269-1275.
- Blake KD, Ottenbacher AJ, Rutten LF, Grady MA, Kobrin SC, Jacobson RM, Hesse BW Predictors of Human Papillomavirus Awareness and Knowledge in 2013: Gaps and Opportunities for Targeted Communication Strategies. Am J Prev Med 2015 Apr; 48(4):402-410.
- Blake KD, Chou WY, Prestin A, Hesse BW. Cancer prevention and control in the changing communication landscape. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 2013 Dec; 2013(47):131-2.
- Blake, KD United States v. Philip Morris USA, Inc., Expert Report, No. 99-cv-2496 (D.D.C. Feb. 23, 2011), ECF No. 5875-1, Expert Report of Kelly Blake, Sc.D.,. 2011.