Staff: Margaret Mayer, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Margaret Mayer, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Cancer Research Training Award Fellow
Margaret Mayer, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a Cancer Research Training Award (CRTA) Fellow in the Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB) of the Behavioral Research Program (BRP).
Dr. Mayer's work as a CRTA fellow primarily supports the Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS) as part of a Tri-Agency (NIH-CDC-FDA) tobacco surveillance effort, but she also explores other data sources related to tobacco use and co-behaviors.
Dr. Mayer's research focuses on the epidemiology of tobacco use. Her interests include identifying predictors of attitudes toward smoking and vaping policies. In addition, she is interested in exploring relationships between tobacco use, other health behaviors, and social determinants of health.
Dr. Mayer received her Ph.D. in Public Health from Yale University. Her dissertation investigated the association between tobacco use and food insecurity.
Prior to her doctorate, Dr. Mayer completed her M.P.H. in Chronic Disease Epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health. During her time at Yale, she worked with the Yale Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science, where she focused on initiation of and transitions between different types of tobacco products among youth.
Dr. Mayer holds a bachelor's degree in Molecular and Cell Biology from the University of Connecticut.
Current and/or past BRP mentors include Carolyn Reyes-Guzman.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Mayer M, Reyes-Guzman C, Grana R, Choi K, Freedman ND. Demographic Characteristics, Cigarette Smoking, and e-Cigarette Use Among US Adults. JAMA Netw Open 2020 Oct 1; 3(10).
- Mayer M, Gueorguieva R, Ma X, White MA. Tobacco use increases risk of food insecurity: An analysis of continuous NHANES data from 1999 to 2014. Prev Med 2019 Sep; 126:105765.
- Barrington-Trimis JL, Kong G, Leventhal AM, Liu F, Mayer M, Cruz TB, Krishnan-Sarin S, McConnell R. E-cigarette Use and Subsequent Smoking Frequency Among Adolescents. Pediatrics 2018 Dec; 142(6).
- Kong G, Mayer ME, Barrington-Trimis JL, McConnell R, Leventhal AM, Krishnan-Sarin S. Longitudinal associations between use and co-use of cigars and cigarettes: A pooled analysis of three adolescent cohorts. Drug Alcohol Depend 2019 Aug 1; 201:45-48.
- Barrington-Trimis JL, Bello MS, Liu F, Leventhal AM, Kong G, Mayer M, Cruz TB, Krishnan-Sarin S, McConnell R. Ethnic Differences in Patterns of Cigarette and E-Cigarette Use Over Time Among Adolescents. J Adolesc Health 2019 Sep; 65(3):359-365.