Staff: Margaret Mayer, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Margaret Mayer, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Margaret Mayer, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a Program Director in the Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB) of the Behavioral Research Program (BRP).
Dr. Mayer supports the Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS). Her program of research uses TUS-CPS, TUS-linked mortality data, and other data sources to characterize, study transitions between, and identify the health effects associated with different patterns of tobacco use. Patterns of particular interest include e-cigarette use, dual- and poly-product use, and menthol product use.
Dr. Mayer holds a Ph.D. in Public Health from Yale University, a M.P.H. in Chronic Disease Epidemiology from the Yale School of Public Health, and a B.S. in Molecular and Cell Biology from the University of Connecticut. During her graduate training, she worked with the Yale Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science, where she focused on initiation of and transitions between different types of tobacco products among youth. She completed her postdoctoral training with TCRB as a Cancer Research Training Award Fellow.
- Tobacco control policy
- Youth tobacco use
- Concurrent use of multiple tobacco products
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Mayer M, Shin YE, Baker L, Cordova J, Mayne RG, Reyes-Guzman CM, Pfeiffer RM, Choi K. A Longitudinal Analysis of Respiratory Illness and Tobacco Use Transitions. Am J Prev Med 2022 Oct 8; S0749-3797(22)00426-3.
- Chang JT, Mayer M, Jackson RA, Rostron BL, Coleman B, Lee T, Ambrose BK, Chang CM. Characteristics and patterns of cigarette smoking and vaping by past-year smokers who reported using ENDS to help quit smoking in the past year: Findings from the 2018-2019 Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey. 2022 Aug 17; ntac199.
- Arauz RF, Mayer M, Reyes-Guzman C, Ryan BM. Racial Disparities in Cigarette Smoking Behaviors and Differences Stratified by Metropolitan Area of Residence. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2022 Mar 2; 19(5):2910.
- Mayer M, Reyes-Guzman C, Grana R, Choi K, Freedman ND. Demographic Characteristics, Cigarette Smoking, and e-Cigarette Use Among US Adults. JAMA Netw Open 2020 Oct 1; 3(10).
- Mayer M, Gueorguieva R, Ma X, White MA. Tobacco use increases risk of food insecurity: An analysis of continuous NHANES data from 1999 to 2014. Prev Med 2019 Sep; 126:105765.