Staff: Annette Kaufman, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Annette Kaufman, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Annette Kaufman, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a Health Scientist and Program Director in the Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB), Behavioral Research Program (BRP), Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS) at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). She obtained her Doctorate in Applied Social Psychology from The George Washington University and Master of Public Health in quantitative methods from the Harvard School of Public Health. She completed her post-doctoral training as a Cancer Prevention Fellow in the Office of the Director (OAD) in the Behavioral Research Program. Dr. Kaufman is actively involved in the development and implementation of the Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS) and the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) study. Her program of research focuses on tobacco product harm judgments and risk perceptions associated with tobacco use. Dr. Kaufman is particularly interested in the influence of policy on tobacco beliefs and behavior.
Secondary Branch/Office Appointment:
Office of the Associate Director (OAD)
- Tobacco control
- Applied social psychology
- Risk perception
- Multiple health behavior change
- Health behavior theory
- Health communication
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Kaufman AR, Dwyer LA, Land SR, Klein WMP, Park ER. Smoking-related health beliefs and smoking behavior in the National Lung Screening Trial. Addict Behav 2018 Mar 14; 84:27-32.
- Thrasher JF, Brewer NT, Niederdeppe J, Peters E, Strasser AA, Grana R, Kaufman AR. Advancing Tobacco Product Warning Labels Research Methods and Theory: A Summary of a Grantee Meeting Held by the US National Cancer Institute. Nicotine Tob Res 2018 Feb 10.
- Kaufman AR, Persoskie A, Twesten J, Bromberg J. A review of risk perception measurement in tobacco control research. Tob Control 2018 Feb 6.
- Pierce JP, Sargent JD, Portnoy DB, White M, Noble M, Kealey S, Borek N, Carusi C, Choi K, Green VR, Kaufman AR, Leas E, Lewis MJ, Margolis KA, Messer K, Shi Y, Silveira ML, Snyder K, Stanton CA, Tanski SE, Bansal-Travers M, Trinidad D, Hyland A. Association Between Receptivity to Tobacco Advertising and Progression to Tobacco Use in Youth and Young Adults in the PATH Study. JAMA Pediatr 2018 Mar 26.
- Wheldon CW, Kaufman AR, Kasza KA, Moser RP. Tobacco Use Among Adults by Sexual Orientation: Findings from the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health Study. LGBT Health 2018 Jan; 5(1):33-44.